This weekend, we went on a walking tour in China Town to see several of the temples. The Chinese people believe that "merit" earns entry to heaven. One way someone can earn merit is to give money to the building of a Chinese temple or statue. In Thailand, there are many Chinese Thais who blend the cultures of these two countries in one. The result is many Chinese temples filled with many gold figures in Thailand.
This first building is Wat Traimit Wittayaram. This building holds the Chinatown heritage center and a Buddha made of more than five tons of gold! The gold statue was created seven hundred years ago, but hidden by laquer and plaster during wartime. In 1955 the image was being moved with ropes when the ropes broke and the image fell, breaking the plaster and revealing the gold Buddha inside. Sorry I didn't get a picture of him. Next time.

We had a very nice American girl from the embassy take us around to look at lots of cool temples and statues and such. She didn't know as much history as we were hoping for, but we got to see some cool things. The main points she covered were to always take your shoes off in temples and never point your feet towards Buddha. Someday we will do more research or take a tour from a Chinese or Thai person. But, for now, here are our pictures from our tour.
Under these statues are plaques with pictures on them. People pay to put their ashes inside the walls of their favorite temple when they die.
Bells are good luck.
2 comments:
Oh my!! I am speechless! So much ornate items with GOLD everywhere. Wow!! I do think that you should be taking ME on these tours instead of Wendy and Kyle- they are too young to appreciate the immense history that they are viewing at every turn. You could wear pants this time because the China Town "temples" are not as sacred?Thanks for sharing your adventures with your family, I think I like Bangkok!!!
What fun adventures you guys are having! I am glad that you get to go out together and see such fun sights!
Post a Comment