The original plan was for Chris to fly to Atlanta on August 17. But, flights were ridiculously expensive and there were no reasonable frequent flyer tickets available for that weekend. So, we kept looking. We found a miracle deal with our frequent flyer tickets the next weekend, August 24. My due date was August 28, so that would probably work out better. It would give Chris more time with us after the baby was born instead of before. I was induced with both of my other babies and had to have a c-section with Kyle, so I couldn't be induced again. My biggest concern was that I wouldn't go into labor on my own and would have to have another c-section. The c-section recovery was so rough that I desperately wanted to avoid c-section. Tuesday, August 14, my Doctor told me they would not let me go over my due date. I had to schedule a c-section for August 28 at the latest. I was so sad....and scared....and worried....and frustrated. But there was nothing for me to do but adjust my expectations. I considered praying for a miracle, but I didn't feel like I could take it if I prayed for a miracle and the Lord said no this time. So, I prayed that I would be ready emotionally for a c-section. Thursday night, I opened my heart to the Lord and asked Him to help me to accept His will for the birth of this baby, whatever it may be.
Friday morning, August 17, I woke up feeling like I had to go to the bathroom. And then I was wet. It wasn't a ton of water, so I wasn't sure what had happened. I've heard of women peeing their pants in pregnancy. Maybe I was now on that list. I had no contractions, so I wasn't sure. I called Chris and told him I either had my water break or peed my pants. We were both confused because that was the day he originally planned to arrive in Atlanta! Surely the baby wasn't coming yet! Chris had missed the last month of pregnancy, so he wasn't even in baby mode yet. He was just preparing to come see his family in a week. But, we weren't sure what happened, so he went to dinner with coworkers and I took a shower and went about my day. I got my kids ready and fed, took Kyle to the pediatrician to get shots, took my kids for a walk, and waited. As the day went on, I continued to have water leak, so I was pretty sure I did not have a bladder issue. But, still no contractions. My mom and sisters were starting to worry at this point. I read on the internet that most Doctors tell you to go to the hospital immediately when your water breaks because you could get an infection, but midwives tell you to stay far away from the hospital because bacteria isn't introduced until you get to the hospital and they check you and push bacteria into the birth canal. So, I was just going to go about my business until I had some good, steady contractions and then go to the hospital and pretend I didn't know better. During this, Chris and I both called the airlines several times trying to find a way for him to get here asap. Finally, an agent found a way: through Munich with an overnight stay, then to Paris, Newark, and finally Atlanta about 36 hours later. UGH! But, Chris was willing to fly for two days to make it here by Sunday night.
About 1pm, two of my sisters showed up. Brittany was ready to take me to the hospital while Emily was set to watch my kids and Brittany's two youngest kids while we were away. I finally started having contractions, so I conceded. I called my OB office and they were annoyed that I hadn't called them earlier so they could have me come in. I really really like two of the Doctors in this OB practice and strongly dislike the other. Of course, Dr. Payne, the Dr I strongly dislike, was on call all weekend! The OB office said they'd call her and have her waiting for me. I showed up to the hospital an hour later and the Dr hadn't put in an order for me. So, they put me in a gown, put wires and monitors on me, and told me to wait for my Dr. Two hours later, the Dr. finally had the nurse check to see if my water really broke. Yup. It did. The Dr. was going to come down and check me. Two hours later, I still hadn't seen my Dr and wasn't progressing at all. Luckily, I got a new nurse who was more forthcoming with my Dr. She called and offered several methods to get my contractions really going and the Dr. agreed to them all. So, I became the guinea pig. I just wanted to go home. I was so frustrated. But, because my water broke, they wouldn't let me go. My poor sister Brittany was there helping and supporting me through this all. She was such an amazing help!
I still wasn't progressing by 11pm, so I had them give me a sleeping pill and a pain pill and went to sleep. I was thrilled that they gave me pitocin even though they could only give me a little bit because of my previous c-section. But, I was still a 1 out of 10, so I just went to sleep. A few hours later, I was woken by a killer contraction. Pitocin is known to intensify contractions, so I was just hoping these were doing something productive! I didn't want to wake Brittany, so I suffered through several of them until I just couldn't take it anymore. I went into the bathroom to change my position to suffer some more. Britt woke up and called the nurse. Thankfully, I had progressed to a 4 and was finally in actual labor, so I got an epidural which makes everything better!! A couple of hours later, I got a new nurse who checked me and I was a 6. Brittany and I warned her that our family transitions quickly, so half an hour later she came back to check me again. I was a little surprised when she declared, okay, you are ready! You are a 10 and the baby has dropped. Let me go call your Doctor. I really really love epidurals!!!!
After the nurses got everything ready, my Dr. finally showed up for the first time. I pushed three times in one contraction (maybe 5 minutes) and we had a new little baby!
Maxwell Christopher Perdue was born on Saturday, August 18 at 9:30 am. He was 8 pounds, 2 ounces (technically 8 pounds, 1.6 ounces but they round up). He scored 8/9 out of 10 on his first wellness exam. He had rosy cheeks, a good cry, and is the perfect mix between Wendy and Kyle's features. Brittany was such a phenomenal support to me! It stinks that Chris couldn't make it, but having my family take care of me and my kids was definitely the next best thing! I'm thrilled that I didn't need a c-section and so happy for our sweet baby to be here!!
Heading to the hospital...





2 comments:
Congratulations Meagan! I am sorry I am late in saying it though!!! I am so glad you were able to avoid the c-section. Maxwell is beautiful and perfect. Sorry, Chris had to miss the birth but glad all went smoothly.
Meagy! I just saw this post! It brought tears to my eyes! I've never seen a baby born that wasn't mine- such a miracle! He came just the way you wanted. Such a neat wonderful experience I will never forget!!
Post a Comment