Saturday, June 18, 2011

WE ARE SPARTANS

Chris and I ran a Spartan race today. That's three miles of a tough obstacle course. There were walls and logs to jump over, concrete blocks and buckets of rocks to carry, rope walls to climb up and down, and the longest field of barbed wire to crawl under among other things. Chris recruited ten other runners for the race. He was very motivated to get the group discount. I had just had Kyle when Chris was registering all of the racers. He was so excited. My thought process went like this:
I used to do fun things like that....
I'm still fun....
Why don't I do fun things like that anymore?
I can still do fun things even though I have two kids...
Running this race will show that I'm still fun...
I need to run in this race...
"Chris, sign me up! I'm running!"
Oh shoot, what did I just do? I don't want to run a race.

But, I made it to the end! And now that I'm finished with the race, I can now look back and say that was kinda fun.

Here we are in our pre-race glory with Brooke, Scott, and Justin. Notice my shorts were blue....


After the race, I couldn't find Chris or Wendy. He was waiting to watch me during part of the race, but I had already passed that point. We had some great friends watch our kids during the race at the event. It was so much fun to see them after the race! This Spartan was the DJ for the event and had taken his mask off for a break. I convinced him to put it back on for a picture. I then asked him to announce to have Chris meet me by the water coolers. The announcement went something like this:
"Chris! Does Chris have a last name? Perdue? As in the chicken? Chris Perdue as in the chicken, you are not where you are supposed to be. You are supposed to be wherever your wife wants you to be and you aren't. You need to fix that and be where your wife wants you to be. That's the way it works. So, hurry to the water station to meet your wife cause she's waiting for you."
Awesome!


And now, I can say I AM A SPARTAN!! Woohoo! I have the scrapes and bruises to prove it!

4 comments:

Grandma Sharp said...

OH MY!!!! CONGRATS LITTLE MOTHER OF TWO.... GOOD TO KNOW WE HAVE TWO SPARTANS IN THE FAMILY !? WAS THAT LAST PICTURE OF YOU TWO IN BROWN CLOTHES....EM...MUD? If nothing else it made a good post!

Tami said...

That is awesome! Meagan you are definitely fun! How great that you guys could do that together! That announcement after the race is hilarious!

kemp-y-QUA!! said...

you rock.

Brittany said...

Hahaha! I love your commentary!! Good Job Meag!!! You are totally still fun and I think your super brave to do that race!!