Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter in Jerusalem!

Chris and I were able to spend Easter in Jerusalem this year! What an amazing experience that was! Here I am on the Mount of Olives, overlooking Jerusalem.All over the city, there are churches and monuments for the Christians, Muslims, and Jews.
One of the sweetest places we went was the Garden Tomb. We went on the Sabbath. Many groups from all over the world came to the Garden Tomb that day. They sang songs of praise in many different languages.
Here we are in front of Galgotha's Skull Hill. Jesus was crucified on top of this hill.
He was then brought to the Tomb given by Joseph of Arimathea. The best part of this place is found below. There is allot of speculation about where Jesus was crucified and buried. My heart felt the holy spirit most here. But, no scientific proof will show the world the truth. Because he is not here. My Savior is risen.Here we are looking down to Jerusalem from the BYU Center where we attended church. We aren't used to so much sun. All around the city, people spotted us and called us the Mormons. One guy said "Hey Mormons, move out of the way". I guess the white shirts gave it away.
The Last Supper was prepared near King David's grave. This place is their best guess. Here is the ledge where Leanardo da Vinci painted the last supper. This tree was donated years later as a symbol of Jerusalem. Three religions joining into one.
The city is rich with history and culture.
Here I am at the Wailing Wall. Because this was Passover week, the streets were full of Jewish pilgrims who came to worship at the Western Wall. They believe that the spirit of God rests at the wall and they can get closer to God here than any other place.

I was also able to visit the Muslim Dome of the Rock. This building was constructed on the ancient temple site.
Here I am at the Dominus Flevit, which translates as "The Lord Wept." It was awe-inspiring to look over the city to a people who would crucify their Lord and imagine His anguish.Here I am at the most powerful place I have ever been: The Garden of Gethsemane. Walking through the gates to the garden, I was overwhelmed with emotion. I wanted to weep. Here, my Lord and Savior knelt on the ground and suffered for my sins. Here, I was given the chance to become clean through the blood of Christ. I am forever indebted to Him. We are so happy that we were able to be together to celebrate this amazing holiday and to feel the love and sacrifice of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

5 comments:

Grandma Sharp said...

I just can't believe what an awesome experience you two had! There are soooo many sights to see in Jerusalem alone, but it looks like you saw many of my favorite ones as well. Visiting Gethsemane and the empty tomb make reading the New Testament ALIVE from now on.... and forever! So thrilled for both of you! I would LOVE to go back and visit this part of the world again...wow! (I know, shocker) :)

Tami said...

Wow! How awesome. Reading this made me all choked up. It looks like you guys had an amazing time. What a great experience!! It looks like you were able to see a lot! How wonderful. Thanks for the fun trip down memory lane.

Brittany said...

Oh my gosh Meagan, I was almost in tears reading your blog! What an amazing experience!!! I can't even imagine how wonderful it was to see golgotha, and THEN the tomb. Just taught an easter lesson and showed pictures of those places, how awesome you were there. That's funny they called you mormons, any hostility?

Angie said...

Great pictures Meag! I'm sure they don't do any of the amazing sites justice!! So cool you got to be there Easter weekend! You guys look great!

Cheryl Smith said...

How lucky! What an awesome time of year to visit those sacred places. I am sure you enjoyed every minute!