Saturday, January 24, 2009

One Year Anniversary

Chris and I went to Fuerteventura, Spain in the Canary Islands to celebrate our one year Anniversary. We were both ready to see the sun and relax. We stayed in the Sheraton Hotel. We loved our hotel.
We loved taking walks along the beach. There was a mall nearby with a grocery store, some nick-nack stores and several lunch food options. We got sun almost every day. It was pretty windy. Okay, really windy! We spent some time exploring a group of ruins near our hotel.
We walked to a lighthouse near our hotel. There was a fun shop on the water as well. I've never had motion sickness in a store before, so that was a first. I think Chris was happy that the shopping venture was a quick one.
Here I am looking out on the ocean from some of the ruins. We had sandy beach in front of the hotel, but it was much too cold for me! Luckily our hotel had a spa so I could swim in warm water!
All along the beach were these rock horseshoes. At first, I was surprised to find people laying in them. It didn't take too long in the wind to find these very desirable. They blocked the wind quite nicely. After we were laying by the pool, both wrapped in our towels, chasing our shoes as they blew away, it was time to go to our wind-free cove by the beach!
Here is me finishing up my sand castle. HA! Just kidding! Several artists on the beach came out and created these masterpieces out of sand. Tourists would throw change onto a mat to take a picture. It's amazing the detail these artists put into their work.
One of our favorite things about our hotel was the food. We had amazing free breakfasts every morning and a choice of three very good restaurants at night. We were both happy to get a good steak for our Anniversary dinner.
Here is the view from our hotel room. The hotel grounds were awesome! What a view! I look at this picture and think, wow, that's gonna be a nice tan in a couple of days. Chris looks at me and says, wow, you are burnt! Gotta love it.
Even Chris got a little sun that turned into a little tan. Not bad for someone who burns easily! Here are more shots of the hotel grounds.
We were so happy that we were able to go away for our Anniversary. In some ways, it feels like time has flown so fast. In other ways, it feels like we have always been together. Either way, we are grateful for the time we have together.

4 comments:

Angie said...

hey meag! i LOVE your pictures!!! that place looks sooo amazing! that's funny those little rock horseshoes to keep out of the wind. whatever works, right?

Brittany said...

WOW! I want to comment on every pic! It looks like you had one amazing trip! That's awesome! I love the rock picture, that's too funny. Sitting here in the cold, thinking the beach sounds awfully nice right now. I'm so glad you guys had such a nice time. Happy Anniversary!!!!

Tami said...

Wow. that trip sounds amazing. thanks for the fun pictures. i loved your hotel! I would love to be in a warm sunny place right now! I am glad that you guys were able to take off and celebrate together!

Janet said...

Meagan, I'm so glad that I tracked down an old email that had your blog address. Happy Anniversary! It looks like you both are still traveling a lot. Talk to you later. Janet